Comments Off on After the storm: What do I do next?
After the storm: What do I do next?
The storm has passed and your family is safe. You took all the necessary precautions such as having an adequate supply of drinking water and a flashlight. You may have even purchased a generator to ensure uninterrupted electricity in the event a power outage. The steps you take next are equally important in keeping your family safe and presenting a claim in the event there is damage to your home, medstore auto or personal property. Your first priority should always be addressing safety concerns: Pay attention to the possibility of a gas leak or electrical damage. Do not light candles until you have verified it is safe. There may be an odor of gas or – in the case of electrical damage — a burning smell.
- Pay attention to any downed power lines and report them promptly to local authorities.
- Be alert for broken glass or other hazards.
- If you had flooding or water damage, viagra have an electrician inspect before turning on the breaker. Keep receipts for possible reimbursement once you file a claim.
- Pay special attention to possible structural damage.
- Dispose of any food items that may have been compromised due to lack of refrigeration or water damage. If your insurance policy covers damage from loss of refrigeration, keep a record of the items you disposed of.
- Cover broken windows
- Make temporary repairs to the roof or cover it with a tarp
- Dry floors, if possible, and pump out standing water
- If it is necessary to leave your home for an extended period of time, take your valuables with you.